High-stakes disputes—with millions of dollars and companies’ reputations on the line—are increasingly being resolved outside the courtroom due to growing demands for efficient and timely solutions. As the market responds, ADR advocacy is evolving into a specialty area, where success comes from knowing the rules, the subject matter and the key constituencies.
With hundreds of arbitrations and mediations behind us, Patterson Belknap lawyers possess:
- Mediation and arbitration advocacy skills refined in a variety of ADR venues across the United States and abroad.
- A reputation as leaders and innovators in the ADR field.
- A deep understanding of complex legal and business matters across industries.
Fortune 500 corporations, financial institutions, multinational companies and other clients rely on our broad experience when they need advocates skilled in ADR. Clients call upon us for counsel in formulating arbitration and mediation clauses in contracts, in structuring proceedings to resolve commercial and employment disputes and in selecting ADR neutrals.
Securing a Global Resolution
With the increasing globalization of business, our clients often become involved in complex international arbitrations. For them, we have obtained successful outcomes in ICC arbitrations in Europe and Latin America, and before CPR, AAA, ICSID, NAFTA and other panels across the United States and overseas. Most recently, our ADR group:
- Successfully represented a financial services company in an arbitration over a dispute that alleged our client was liable for a series of failed trades arising out of a merger.
- Defeated a $34 million damages demand against a venture capital firm in a multi-day arbitration over the rights to invest in a high-tech deal.
- Prevailed in an arbitration based on Mexican law over the requested buyout of a large stock interest in a major Mexican publishing corporation—a dispute that threatened to put the company out of business.
- Successfully represented a medical device company in a 75-day arbitration involving fraud and contract claims arising out of the divestiture of its product line.
- Resolved a metals trading company’s dispute with two Ukrainian suppliers in a proceeding that constituted the largest commercial arbitration involving the Ukraine.
- Guided a major pharmaceutical firm through a binding ADR proceeding that secured a $164 million award—the largest plaintiff’s damages award that year—and secured three subsequent multi-million dollar awards for the company.
Our lawyers, respected throughout the worldwide ADR community, are regularly selected to serve on ICC, CPR and AAA panels. A member of our group was recently appointed to a panel of arbitrators comprised of distinguished retired judges and justices (including the former Chief Justice of Mexico) to resolve a cross-border dispute under NAFTA involving the alleged dumping of cement products. Another was appointed by the AAA as arbitrator to resolve a dispute among the shareholders of a well-known real estate brokerage firm. And one of our litigation partners served as the court-appointed mediator for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York in a series of litigations brought against the Republic of Ecuador arising out of its default on Brady and PDI bonds.
We are often asked to join committees for the governing bodies of these ADR organizations. Members of our group have served or currently serve as directors on executive committees of the AAA and CPR. For every client, we bring a level of experience to the table that facilitates resolution.