We have one location in New York City on purpose. It allows us to share our knowledge and experience, creating a collaborative culture that benefits our clients, our attorneys and our staff.
All of our lawyers are committed to serving clients both nationally and globally. The practice combines deep and varied litigation and appellate experience in fields such as commercial law, intellectual property (patent, trademark and copyright), false advertising and unfair competition, media, employment, law firm defense, product liability, securities, white collar crime and corporate investigations, with a unique transactional and counseling practice that includes corporate, tax, employee benefits, trusts and estates/personal planning and real estate law, as well as the City's leading tax-exempt organizations practice.
Throughout the years, firm leaders have carefully managed growth to maintain an intimate environment in which partners, counsel and associates representing different practice areas work closely together, calling upon each other's skills. The firm believes in staffing matters only with the number of lawyers necessary to do the job. This approach promotes cost-efficiency while providing clients with personal attention and our lawyers with the experience and skills that foster successful careers. The reward for Patterson Belknap has been the loyalty of its clients, many of whom have remained with the firm for decades, and the strength and dedication of our attorneys, many of whom have become partners with the firm or have gone on to outstanding careers in government and business.
- The firm is frequently included on The American Lawyer’s “A-List” of 20 leading law firms in the United States. In 2013, the firm was also included on the “10-Year A-List” of the top 20 firms over the past 10 years, based on cumulative scores since the list's inception in 2003.
- Patterson Belknap ranked #3 for Associate/Partner Relations in the newly-released Vault 2017 survey of the "Top 100 Law Firms."
- We have ranked near the top of The American Lawyer's pro bono survey every year since its inception in 1999. Every year since 2004, 100% of the firm's attorneys participated in pro bono projects, perhaps a first for a firm of our size. Patterson Belknap is also ranked #1 for Pro Bono in the 2017 Vault Guide To The Top 100 Law Firms.
- Honored by MFY Legal Services, Inc. for our pro bono contributions in New York City, through the establishment of a "Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler Fellowship."
- One of the first major firms in New York City to elect a woman as managing partner, and currently has its third female managing partner. In addition to our Diversity Committee, a group of our attorneys formed PAC (Patterson Attorneys of Color) to assist with the enhancement of workplace diversity and the recruitment, retention and promotion of attorneys of color. Another group, Out at Patterson, focuses on issues relevant to the firm's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered, and Women Lawyers at Patterson (WLAP) focuses on women’s issues.
- The firm's litigation department has enjoyed a long string of successful jury victories, ranging from patent and trademark infringement /false advertising to antitrust to professional malpractice cases.
- The corporate department has had a succession of banner years, closing hundreds of client deals for both emerging and fully established companies. The practice has achieved particular prominence for its assistance to foreign companies seeking to do business in the United States.
- The firm's renowned tax-exempt organizations group represents approximately 200 nonprofit entities. These clients range from museums and universities to wildlife conservation groups and charitable foundations.