Our Commitment To Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Promoting diversity, equity and inclusion within the Firm and the legal profession has been central to our mission for years.
Over 30 years ago, Patterson Belknap was one of the first major firms to elect a woman as its Managing Partner and, in 2022, the Firm elected its fourth woman Managing Partner. We work to continue that tradition where women and minority lawyers thrive and succeed. We support a number of organizations that promote diversity in the legal profession, including the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, The Appellate Project, National Association of Women Lawyers, LGBT Bar Association of Greater New York, Muslim Bar Association of New York, and the South Asian Bar Association of New York.
- In 2021, Patterson Belknap achieved Mansfield Certified Plus status from Diversity Lab in recognition of the Firm’s diversity, equity & inclusion efforts.
- Patterson Belknap was recognized by The American Lawyer as one of the top five law firms nationwide with the highest percentage of LGBTQ+ attorneys in the 2020, 2021, and 2022 “National Law Journal LGBTQ Scorecard.”
- Patterson Belknap scored a 100% rating in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index for 2021.
- In 2013, the Firm awarded its first Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP Diversity Fellowship as part of our ongoing commitment to recruiting, retaining and promoting attorneys who contribute to the diversity of our firm and our profession. Click here for information on how to apply.
- In 2012, Women In Law Empowerment Forum, accorded Patterson Belknap its Gold Standard Certification for demonstrating a meaningful presence and integration of women into our highest leadership positions.
- In 2011, Patterson Belknap was recognized as one of the top companies in America for gay, lesbian and transgender attorneys by Work Life Magazine.
Patterson Belknap proudly supports the American Bar Association’s Resolution 113, which “urges all providers of legal services, including law firms and corporations, to expand and create opportunities at all levels of responsibility for diverse attorneys.”
"My experience at Patterson is that diversity is not a slogan or a trend. It is, instead, a firm commitment. While the quality of one's ideas and work certainly matter, the respect that one gives to another also matters greatly. We recognize that our firm is enriched by the different characteristics of our colleagues. Rather than ignoring these diverse personal differences, we affirm and celebrate them; and that is quite refreshing."
Peter C. Harvey, Co-Chair, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee
Former Attorney General of the State of New Jersey
"2015 Most Influential Black Lawyers" by Savoy Magazine
"2012 Private Practitioner of the Year" by Metropolitan Black Bar Association
"Top Black Lawyers in America" by Black Enterprise Magazine
"100 Most Influential Black Americans" by Ebony Magazine