Jason Polevoy is Counsel in the Firm's Real Estate department. He has extensive experience in all aspects of complex commercial real estate, including commercial leasing, sales and acquisitions, joint ventures, debt and equity financing, restructurings and workouts, and management, construction and architect agreements, with expertise in the office, retail, hospitality and multi-family sectors. Jason is the immediate past Chair of the Real Property Law Committee of the New York City Bar Association.
- Representation of major New York City landlord in connection with numerous office leases and the lease of a multi-floor medical facility space to a New York City hospital.
- Representation of Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company in connection with New York City office lease at 200 Liberty Street and sublease of former NYC office space.
- Representation of Rent the Runway in connection with various matters including headquarters lease at 10 Jay Street, Brooklyn and sub-sublease of former headquarters space at 245 Hudson Street to Google.
- Representing national law firm in connection with multi-floor New York office lease and termination of existing lease.
- Representing a healthcare industry incubator and its portfolio companies in connection with leasing matters.
- Representation of major hedge fund, as tenant, in connection with multi-floor headquarters lease in Manhattan.
- Representing major New York hospital in connection with various matters, including lease of multi-floor condominium unit in new East Harlem development and multi-floor office lease in Stamford, CT.
- Representation of client in connection with the ground lease of a development site Manhattan.
- Representation of hedge fund tenant in connection with multi-floor headquarters lease in Manhattan.
- Representing limited-service restaurant in connection with restaurant leases and retail condominium acquisition.
- Representation of national medical office building owner and developer in medical office leasing.
Acquisitions, Sales and Ground Leases:
- Representing a major New York City not-for-profit institution in connection with the ground lease of a Bronx development site for residential and retail development.
- Representation of a national apartment REIT in connection with ground lease of development site in Manhattan and related acquisitions of development rights.
- Representation of national REIT acquisition of Brooklyn development site and sale of retail condominium unit.
- Representation of client in the acquisition of a 520-unit apartment complex in Montgomery, AL for $21.7 million and related acquisition loan and joint venture, and subsequent sale.
- Representing seller of Seattle warehouse property.
- Representation of an international hotel company in connection with the acquisition and financing of a luxury hotel in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Representing national medical office building owner and developer in development and acquisition of numerous medical office properties.
- Representation of one of the largest U.S. building supply companies in connection with national real estate acquisitions, sales and ground leases.
Finance and Joint Ventures:
- Representing joint venture in connection with construction loan for Manhattan high-rise residential condominium development and subsequent take-out loan.
- Representing family office in connection with numerous real estate investment, joint ventures and financing transactions, involving nursing home, multi-family and commercial properties and residential rental and condominium developments.
- Representing hedge fund in connection with real estate acquisitions and joint venture investments involving office, hotel and retail properties, condominium development projects, and distressed debt transactions.
- Representing national medical office building owner and developer in development, acquisition, financing and leasing of numerous medical office properties.
- Representation of real estate developer in connection with preferred equity joint venture and construction loan for development of residential condominium in Brooklyn.
- Representation of private lender in connection with numerous mortgage and construction loans.
- Representation of client in connection with formation of an $85 million joint venture for the acquisition of multi-family properties.
- Representation of owners in connection with equity and debt refinancings.
- Representation of lenders in connection with mortgage and mezzanine loans.
- Representation of owner in connection with a construction loan for the development of a condominium hotel in Miami Beach, Florida.
- Representation of client in connection with sale of a majority partnership interest in New York City apartment tower.
- Representation of a national hotel company in connection with the acquisition of a development site in Los Angeles, California.
- Representation of client in the formation of a real estate fund to provide mortgage and mezzanine financing for commercial and residential properties.
- Representation of investor in joint venture for condominium redevelopment in downtown Manhattan.
- Representing national medical office building owner in financing of numerous medical office properties.
- New York
MEMBERSHIPS: New York City Bar Association (Past Chair of Real Property Law Committee, 2017 – 2020; Chair of Development and Finance Subcommittee of RPL Committee, 2014 – 2017; Current Member of RPL Committee and Leasing Subcommittee); New York State Bar Association (Real Property Law Section and Commercial Leasing Committee); American Bar Association (Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law).
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS: Panel Moderator, "Land, Pre-Construction and Construction Loans," IMN’s Real Estate Mezzanine Financing & High Yield Debt Forum (May 18, 2022); Presenter, "Casualty and Condemnation Provisions: Balancing Conflicting Interests of Lenders, Borrowers, and Tenants," Strafford Webinar (April 26, 2022); Presenter, “Hot Topics in New York City Commercial Leasing”, New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section Annual Meeting (January 25, 2022); Panel Moderator, "Acquiring Distressed Real Estate: What Do You Look For in an Acquisition?" IMN Real Estate Mezzanine & Distressed Debt Virtual Forum (November 18, 2020); Presenter, “Government Programs Impacting Retail Real Estate in the Wake of Covid 19”, 2020 Virtual ICSC US Law Conference, October 14, 2020; Chair and Presenter, "Commercial Real Estate Law: The Basics & Beyond," New York City Bar CLE webinar (October 27, 2020); Presenter, "Overview: Impacts of COVID-19 on Commercial Leasing in NYC," New York City Bar CLE program (August 13, 2020); Chair and Presenter, "Commercial Real Estate Law: The Basics & Beyond," New York City Bar CLE program (May 20, 2019); Presenter, "Commercial Real Estate Law: The Basics & Beyond,” New York City Bar CLE program (May 7, 2018); Presenter, “Real Attachments: An In-Depth Look at Commercial Lease Exhibits,” New York City Bar CLE program (January 24, 2018); Presenter, “Commercial Real Estate Law: The Basics & Beyond,” New York City Bar CLE program (May 8, 2017); Presenter, “Real Attachments: An In-Depth Look at Commercial Lease Exhibits,” New York City Bar CLE program (January 25, 2017); Chair and Presenter, “Joint Venture Agreements: Key Issues,” New York City Bar CLE program (May 11, 2016 and May 13, 2015); Panelist, “Evolution of the Healthcare Real Estate Lease & Navigating the Complexities of Negotiations with Hospitals, Healthcare Systems and Physicians Groups Panelist” at CRE Healthcare in Real Estate Conference (March 2015); Panel Discussion on Lease Renewal and Fair Market Rent Provisions at New York State Bar Association Real Property Law Section Annual Meeting (January 29, 2015); Presentation to the New York State Bar Association's Commercial Leasing Committee concerning bankruptcy issues in the commercial leasing context.
HONORS: Recipient of 2009 Lawyers Alliance for New York Cornerstone Award
- Co-Author, “Takeaways From 4 NY Virus-Related Tenant Contract Rulings,” Law360 (December 21, 2020)
- Co-Author, “NY Lenders May Face Barriers In Real Estate Dispositions,” Law360 (September 21, 2020)
- Contributing Author to Lexis Practice Advisor - Real Estate
- “What to Consider in Buying Junior Notes,” Real Estate Forum (May 2015)
- Co-Author, “Hospital Campuses See Medical Office Building Development as Solid Growth Area,” Bloomberg BNA Real Estate Law & Industry Report (April 2013)
- “Protecting Landlords Against Tenant Bankruptcy,” GlobeSt.com (October 23, 2012)
- Co-Author, “Tips for Buyers of Distressed Whole First Mortgage Loans,” New York Law Journal (March 14, 2011)
- Profiled in Mortgage Observer Weekly (June 14, 2013)
- Quoted in numerous articles in Law360 and GlobeSt.com