Julie Simeone is an Associate in the Firm's Litigation department where her practice focuses on intellectual property matters, including copyright law, patent litigation, trademark and trade secrets litigation, and false advertising litigation. Ms. Simeone recently filed an amicus brief in the United States Supreme Court on behalf of media entities in a prominent copyright case. Prior to joining the Firm, Ms. Simeone practiced at a large New York law firm for approximately two years. From 2016 to 2017, Ms. Simeone served as a law clerk to the Hon. Eric N. Vitaliano of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Copyright Law and Litigation
Representing media organization in submission to the United States Copyright Office regarding copyright ownership for news content and protections for press publishers under United States copyright law.
Represented media organization in submission to the United States Patent and Trademark Office regarding copyright law and artificial intelligence.
Represented major book publisher and retailer in copyright infringement action in the Southern District of New York. Obtained a favorable jury verdict.
Represented major book publisher and retailer in damages trial in the Southern District of New York in a patent litigation.
Represented endodontic equipment manufacturer against allegations of patent infringement.
Trademark and Trade Secrets Litigation
Represented software company in civil trial in the Eastern District of New York involving claims for unfair competition and misappropriation of idea. Obtained a successful damages verdict.
Represented technology start-up in suit against competitor for trademark infringement resulting in favorable settlement.
Represented company in the energy and industrial products sector against claims brought under the Defend Trade Secrets Act (“DTSA”) and state law.
False Advertising Litigation
Represented a medical device company against claims of false advertising and unfair competition. Obtained favorable summary judgment determination, dismissing all claims, which was later affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Representing medical device manufacturer in complex contract dispute concerning supply and sales agreement.
Defending an AmLaw 100 firm against malpractice claims involving the acquisition of assets in the renewable energy sector.
Representing a major medical device manufacturer in connection with a civil Department of Justice investigation.
Representing a Marine Corps veteran in connection with an application for a discharge upgrade before the Naval Discharge Review Board.
Successfully represented client to challenge inclusion in New York State’s Central Register for child abuse and neglect.
Represented member of now-disbanded Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity in a lawsuit to obtain documents from the Commission.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- New York
- Outstanding Work and Dedicated Pro Bono Service to the New York County Lawyers Association (2018)
- New York County Lawyers’ Association, Interim Program Coordinator, Veterans Discharge Upgrade Project (2021)
- AI & IP: Developments In Copyright and Patent Law in the Age of Artificial Intelligence (September 22, 2022)
- Refresher on The Current Scope of Protections Under New York City and State Human Rights Laws, Employment Law & Employee Benefits CLE Series (October 12, 2021)
- Employment Agreement Best Practices, Employment Law & Employee Benefits CLE Series (October 15, 2020)
- Pay Equity Update, Employment Law & Employee Benefits CLE Series (October 10, 2019)
- Ethics in the Employment Law Context, Employment Law & Employee Benefits CLE Series (October 16, 2018)
- Contributor to How to Build a Nation in 15 Weeks
- Contributor to Misbranded: The Food/Drug/Cosmetic False Advertising Blog
- Contributor to New York Patents Decisions Blog
- Co-author, Licensee May Bring Infringement Suit, For Now, The Licensing Journal, Vol. 39, No. 10 (November/December 2019)
- Co-Author, Cybersecurity Governance: A Guide for Corporate Officers, Directors and General Counsel, Bloomberg Law’s Privacy & Data Security Practice Portfolio Series (May 2019)
- "Not So Legitimate: Why Courts Should Reject an Administrative Approach to the Routine Booking Exception," 89 N.Y.U. L. Rev. 1454 (2014)