Michelle Bufano is a partner in the firm’s litigation department. She has represented major pharmaceutical and medical device companies in complex products liability and mass tort litigation for 15 years, including class actions, multi-district litigations and coordinated proceedings in state courts. She has represented clients in litigations involving prescription and over-the-counter drugs, as well as a wide range of medical devices, including catheters, feeding tubes, as well as hip and knee implants.
Recently, Ms. Bufano successfully assisted a client by reducing a 7,600-case mass tort litigation to approximately 4,000 cases through dispositive motion practice. She also served as a core member of the national litigation team and counsel of record for all cases in that litigation.
In addition, Ms. Bufano has significant experience in complex commercial litigation, having represented clients in a variety of breach of contract contexts and other business disputes.
Following law school, she served as a law clerk to the Honorable Martin L. Greenberg in New Jersey Superior Court.
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- New Jersey
- Not yet admitted in New York
MEMBERSHIPS: American Bar Association; New Jersey State Bar Association; Morris County Bar Association; Defense Research Institute (Drug and Medical Device Committee, Young Lawyers Committee); New Jersey Civil Justice Institute (Legal Advisory Board); Law Journal News Product Liability Law & Strategy Newsletter (Member, Board of Editors); National Trial Advocacy College, University of Virginia School of Law (Graduate, 2001); William J. Brennan, Jr. Inn of Court (Graduate, 1999-2001)
HONORS: Recognized in New Jersey Super Lawyers in the area of Class Action/Mass Torts; Previously selected for the New Jersey Law Journal’s “40 Under 40” series
- “Getting Serious About Senseless Claims,” New Jersey Law Journal (December 9, 2015)
- “New Limitations on The Discovery Rule in Products Liability Cases,” New Jersey Law Journal (December 17, 2012)
- “Irreconcilable Differences in Prescription Drug Liability Cases,” New Jersey Law Journal (December 12, 2011)
- “Applying the Doctrine of Forum Non Conveniens to Out-of-State Plaintiffs in Mass Tort Cases,” New Jersey Law Journal (November 22, 2012)
- “The Importance of the Early Disposition of Baseless Claims in New Jersey Products Liability Mass Tort Litigation,” New Jersey Lawyer (August 2011)
- “Practice Tip: Keys to Successful Negotiation of Clinical Trial Agreements,” LJN’s Product Liability Law & Strategy (December 2009)
- “Avoiding Dysfunctional Litigation,” LJN’s Product Liability Law & Strategy (April 2009)
- “Fight For Your Right To Ex Parte,” New Jersey Law Journal (December 8, 2009)
- “Medical Device Manufacturers Can Breathe Easier,” New Jersey Law Journal (December 15, 2008)
- “Hope at Last for Drug Manufacturers Sued in NJ?” Law360 (November 24, 2008)
- “The Learned Intermediary Doctrine,” LJN’s Product Liability Law & Strategy (August 2008)
- “The Foreign Plaintiff,” New Jersey Law Journal (December 17, 2007)