Robin Krause is a partner and Chair of the firm’s Tax-Exempt Organizations department. Ms. Krause has extensive experience in the representation of public charities, private foundations, and other 501(c) organizations including social welfare organizations and trade associations. Her practice focuses on governance and tax matters, international grantmaking and operations, program-related investing, donor-advised funds, and state and federal regulatory matters. Ms. Krause also has facilitated Board reviews of governance and accountability issues, provides training on lobbying activities for public charities and private foundations, and advises investment and audit committees on current issues.
Ms. Krause also advises individuals and corporations on charitable giving and philanthropic planning and represents a number of corporate foundations.
Ms. Krause lectures regularly and was most recently a member of the Advisory Board of the National Center of Philanthropy and the Law at New York University. She has served on the Advisory Boards for Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors Guide to Mission Related Investing and Foundation Strategy Group’s Initiative on the Law of Mission Related Investing. Her speaking engagements include:
- Georgetown Law Representing and Managing Tax-Exempt Organizations (May 2016: Advanced Self Dealing Issues)
- American Bar Association, Tax-Exempt Organizations Sub-Committee (May 2016: Donor Advised Funds: Priority Issues for Regulatory Guidance)
- King Badouin Foundation United States (May 2016: Tax-Efficient Giving in the United States)
- Nonprofit Organizations Institute, University of Texas at Austin School of Law (2016: Roles of the CEO, CFO and GC: Managing the Relationship between the Executive Branch, Finance and Legal, 2014: Investment Risk Management)
- American Bar Association Section of Taxation (2015: Private Foundations Special Self Dealing Problems: The Family Office and Family Foundation, 2013: Donor Advised Funds)
- Practising Law Institute (2014: Nonprofit Organizations 2014 and 2013: Form 990 Reporting, Governance, and Compensation Issues)
- Private Foundation Symposium ODMD (2014: Corporate Foundations: Challenges and Best Practices)
- New York
MEMBERSHIPS: Advisory Board of the National Center of Philanthropy and the Law at New York University (2013-2016); American Bar Association (Committee on Tax Exempt Organizations, Co-Chair of the Sub-Committee on Private Foundations); Association of the Bar of the City of New York; New York State Bar Association; Secretary and Assistant Treasurer, Mrs. Giles Whiting Foundation (1997-2015); Director, Pro Mujer, an international women's micro-finance organization (1997-2001); Lecturer.
- Co-Author, "Demystifying Program Related Investments," New York University Conference on Tax Planning for Exempt Organizations