Stephen P. Younger, Past President of the New York State Bar Association, is a leading commercial litigator who is also well-known for his alternative dispute resolution work. Having been with Patterson Belknap since 1985, Mr. Younger has more than 30 years of experience as a business litigator. As a seasoned trial lawyer, he has tried many cases in federal and state courts and before arbitration panels. He also frequently argues appeals, particularly in the appellate courts of New York. Based on his significant ADR experience, he is often called on to serve as an arbitrator or mediator in high-stakes matters. Mr. Younger serves as Editor of the New York Commercial Division Practice Guide, which is part of Bloomberg Law's Litigation Practice Portfolio Series.
Mr. Younger’s clients include financial institutions, mutual funds, hedge funds, pension funds and venture capital firms involved in commercial, securities and real estate disputes. He has also developed an extensive practice representing European and Latin American companies in U.S.-related matters.
In addition to his previous role as State Bar President, Mr. Younger has sat on numerous New York State Bar Association committees. He is Past Chair of the New York State Bar Association's Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, having previously served as Chair of its Securities Litigation Committee and of its ADR Committee. Mr. Younger served as Chair of the State Bar’s Task Force on Nonlawyer Ownership of Law Firms. He also chairs the State Bar's Subcommittee on the Judiciary Article of its Constitutional Convention Committee.
Mr. Younger is the State Delegate for New York to the ABA’s House of Delegates where he chairs the New York delegation. He is a member of the Steering Committee for the ABA's Nominating Committee. He serves on the ABA's Standing Committee on the American Judicial System. He is Past Chair of the ABA’s International Mediation Committee and its Task Force on International Trade in Legal Services. He served as the ABA’s representative to the United Nations Economic and Social Council. He is chairing the ABA's 2017 summer meeting in New York City.
Mr. Younger previously served on Governor Andrew M. Cuomo's Transition Committee and was the Transition Director for Mr. Cuomo when he was the New York State Attorney General. He also served on the Transition Committee for for New York County District Attorney Cyrus Vance. He was Counsel to the New York State Commission on Judicial Nomination, which nominates New York’s Court of Appeals Judges, and is a member of the Governor's First Department Judicial Screening Committee.
Mr. Younger is a member of the Board of Directors of the Fund for Modern Courts and received the Fund’s John J. McCloy Award. He served on the Chief Judge's Task Force on Commercial Litigation in the 21st Century, and currently serves on the Chief Judge’s Commercial Division Advisory Council. He was formerly a member of the Chief Judge’s Advisory Committee on New York State Pro Bono Bar Admission Requirements. He is a co-editor of Patterson Belknap’s Commercial Division Blog.
Mr. Younger serves on the Board of Directors of the CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, and previously served as the Chair of its Executive Advisory Committee. He is a founding Board member of the New York International Arbitration Center. He is also a member of the ADR Advisory Committee of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
A long-time Trustee of Albany Law School, Mr. Younger is Past President of its National Alumni Council. He is also Secretary of the Harvard Club of New York City and previously served on the Club’s Audit Committee.
Mr. Younger is an Adjunct Professor of Law at Fordham University School of Law where he teaches commercial litigation.
Mr. Younger has spoken at more than 200 seminars and written over 30 articles in the fields of securities litigation, commercial arbitration and international dispute resolution.
Prior to joining Patterson Belknap, Mr. Younger served as Law Clerk to the Hon. Hugh R. Jones, Associate Judge for the New York Court of Appeals.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- New York
HONORS: The Citizens Union of the City of New York Civic Leadership Award; Volunteer Lawyers Project Dedication to Justice Award; Fund for Modern Courts John J. McCloy Award; Albany Law School Distinguished Alumni Award; Puerto Rican Bar's Advancement of Justice Award; Weinberg Center for Elder Abuse Prevention Champion for Change Award; Exodus Transitional Community Social Justice Award; Listed as a "Litigation Star" for New York in Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC’s Benchmark: America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys; Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Alternate Dispute Resolution and Appellate Law; Named to Top 100 New York City attorneys in Super Lawyers.
MEMBERSHIPS: Past President, New York State Bar Association (Chair, Judiciary Article Subcommittee of the Constitutional Convention Committee; Past Chair, Nominating Committee; Past Chair, Court Operations Committee; Past Chair, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section; Past Chair, Task Force on Nonlawyer Ownership of Law Firms; Past Chair, ADR Committee; Past Chair, Securities Litigation Committee); Past Chair, Mid-Atlantic Bar Conference; N.Y.S. Delegate, ABA House of Delegates; Member, Steering Committee, ABA Nominating Committee; Member, ABA Standing Committee on the American Judicial System; Past Chair, ABA International Trade in Legal Services Committee; Past Chair, ABA International Mediation Committee; Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Past Member, Committee on Arbitration; Past Secretary, Task Force on Civil Courts); Former Counsel, New York State Commission on Judicial Nomination; Member, Governor’s Judicial Screening Committee, First Department; Member, Chief Judge's Commercial Division Advisory Council; Member, Task Force on Commercial Litigation in the 21st Century; Past Member, Chief Judge's Advisory Committee on New York State Pro Bono Bar Admission Requirements; Member, ADR Advisory Committee, Eastern District of New York; Mediator, United States District Court, Southern District of New York, Eastern District of New York; Advisory Board, Financial Markets Regulatory Institute; Board of Directors, CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution (Past Chair, Executive Advisory Committee); Board of Directors, Fund for Modern Courts; Founding Board Member, New York International Arbitration Center; Advisory Council, Brooklyn Legal Services; Vice Chair, Historical Society of the N.Y.S. Courts; Congress of Fellows, Center for International Legal Studies; Fellow, The New York Bar Foundation; Fellow, the American Bar Foundation; Trustee Emeritus, Albany Law School; Past President, National Alumni Council, Albany Law School; Member, Eastern District of New York ADR Advisory Council; Secretary, Harvard Club of New York City.
- Co-author, "INSIGHT: First Department Reverses Injunctions Against Fuji-Xerox Merger," Bloomberg Law (November 14, 2018)
- Co-author, "Daesang V. NutraSweet Reaffirms NY's Pro-Arbitration Attitude," Law360 (October 11, 2018)
- Co-author, "Commercial Division Enjoins Xerox-Fujifilm Deal Resulting in Resignation of Xerox’s CEO," Bloomberg Law (May 18, 2018)
- Co-Editor, "New York Commercial Division Practice Guide," Bloomberg Law (2017)
- Co-Author, "Bringing Cayman Derivative Claims In NY Just Got Easier," Law360 (December 5, 2017)
- Co-Author, "A Constitutional Convention, Opportunities to Restructure and Modernize the New York Courts," NYSBA Journal (October 2017)
- Co-Author, "First Department Adds Two New Factors to New York’s Standard of Review for Non-Monetary Settlements of Shareholder Class Actions," Bloomberg BNA's Corporate Law & Accountability Report (March 1, 2017)
- Co-Author, "Court Confirms Hedge Funds Did Not Act In Bad Faith, Affirms Large Judgment," New York Law Journal (February 7, 2017)
- Co-Author, "A New Tool For Obtaining Jurisdiction In New York Courts," Law360 (February 2, 2017)
- Author, "Chapter 25: Use of Non-Binding Alternative Dispute Resolution Mechanisms to Foster Settlement," Settlement Agreements in Commercial Disputes: Negotiating, Drafting & Enforcement (2017)
- Author, “More Reasons to Arbitrate in the Big Apple,” New York Law Journal (November 25, 2013)
- Author, “New York Law as an International Standard for Business,” Financier Worldwide (2011)
- Author, “Court Simplification in New York,” N.Y. County Lawyer (2012)
- Author, “Parallel Proceedings in Securities Enforcement Actions,” Journal of Securities Law, Reg. & Compliance (2010)
- Author, "Effective Representation of Corporate Clients in Mediation," Albany Law Review (1996)