Zhiqiang Liu is an associate in the firm's Litigation department. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Liu was a Senior Research Scientist at Colgate-Palmolive Company. Mr. Liu worked in the Oral Care Research Department for approximately seven years, developing new actives, formulations, and studying the mode of actions. His work at Colgate resulted in fifteen issued U.S. and European patents with additional pending applications. He also received a Global Technology award at Colgate in 2007.
Mr. Liu holds a doctorate in Chemistry from Columbia University. His graduate work was directed to the study of properties of zeolite particles, as well as properties of synthetic polymers. Mr. Liu also pursued a postdoctoral study at Columbia in a joint program between the Chemistry Department and the Genome Center, focusing on the development of a parallel gene sequencing technology and the development of a rapid PCR and mass spectrometry-based platform for simultaneously detecting multiple viruses and bacteria in clinical samples. Mr. Liu’s research at Columbia led to thirteen peer-reviewed publications.
Represented brand pharmaceutical companies in various Hatch-Waxman (ANDA) suits regarding their drugs for treating HIV, gout, diabetes, and hair loss.
Represented a medical devices company in a patent infringement suit concerning its products for knee replacement surgery.
Represented a client in defending its telecommunications products and services in a patent infringement suit.
Currently representing a brand pharmaceutical company in patent infringement suits regarding its diagnostic products for detecting viral infections.
Currently representing a medical devices company in patent infringement suits concerning its products for soft tissue surgical procedures.
Inter Partes Review Proceedings in USPTO
Represented clients in defending the validity of patents covering methods for treating Pompe disease and HIV.
Currently representing a client in defending the validity of a patent covering a formulation for an injectable drug.
Special Education Advocacy (pro bono)
Represented multiple students in seeking proper educational programs and placements through negotiations and hearings.
Other Pro Bono Matters
Represented clients in a public-housing matter in New York state court.
Represented a district attorney's office in defending a narcotics-related criminal conviction in the appellate division of New York state court and secured a unanimous decision upholding the conviction.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; District of New Jersey
- New York
- New Jersey
- Mandarin Chinese
- Co-Author, "New Targets in the Crosshairs: A forum to invalidate patents is now being used on biotech firms," Corporate Counsel (June 2015)
- "Clinical Efficacy of a Specifically Targeted Antimicrobial Peptide Mouth Rinse: Targeted Elimination of Streptococcus Mutans and Prevention of Demineralization," Caries Research (2011, 45,415)
- "MassTag Polymerase-Chain-Reaction Dection of Respiratory Pathogens, Including a New Rhinovirus Genotype, That Caused Influenza-Like Illness in New York State during 2004-2005," The Journal of Infectious Diseases (2006, 194, 1398)
- "Characterization of the External Surface of Silicalities Employing Election Paramagnetic Resonance," The Journal of Physical Chemistry A (2004, 108, 8040).