Zhiqiang Liu is an associate in the firm's Litigation department. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Liu was a Senior Research Scientist at Colgate-Palmolive Company. Mr. Liu worked in the Oral Care Research Department for approximately seven years, developing new actives, formulations, and studying the mode of actions. His work at Colgate resulted in one peer-reviewed publication and ten pending patent applications. He also received a Global Technology award at Colgate in 2007.
Mr. Liu holds a doctorate in Chemistry from Columbia University. His graduate work was directed to the study of properties of zeolite particles, as well as properties of synthetic polymers. Mr. Liu also pursued a postdoctoral study at Columbia in a joint program between the Chemistry Department and the Genome Center, focusing on the development of a parallel gene sequencing technology and the development of a rapid PCR and mass spectrometry-based platform for simultaneously detecting multiple viruses and bacteria in clinical samples. Mr. Liu’s research at Columbia led to thirteen peer-reviewed publications.
Represent brand pharmaceutical companies in various Hatch-Waxman (ANDA) suits regarding their drugs for treating HIV, gout, and hair loss.
Represent a medical devices company in a patent infringement suit, defending its products for knee replacement.
Represent a client in defending its telecommunications products and services in a patent infringement suit.
Inter Partes Review Proceedings in USPTO
Represent clients in defending the validity of patents covering methods for treating Pompe disease and HIV.
Special Education Advocacy (pro bono)
Represent students in seeking proper educational programs and placements through negotiations and hearings.
Other Pro Bono Matters
Represent clients in a public-housing matter in New York state court.
Represent a district attorney's office in defending a narcotics-related criminal conviction in the appellate division of New York state court.
Mentor a high school team for moot court and mock trial competitions.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; District of New Jersey
- New York
- New Jersey
- Mandarin Chinese
- Co-Author, "New Targets in the Crosshairs: A forum to invalidate patents is now being used on biotech firms," Corporate Counsel (June 2015)
- "Clinical Efficacy of a Specifically Targeted Antimicrobial Peptide Mouth Rinse: Targeted Elimination of Streptococcus Mutans and Prevention of Demineralization," Caries Research (2011, 45,415)
- "MassTag Polymerase-Chain-Reaction Dection of Respiratory Pathogens, Including a New Rhinovirus Genotype, That Caused Influenza-Like Illness in New York State during 2004-2005," The Journal of Infectious Diseases (2006, 194, 1398)
- "Characterization of the External Surface of Silicalities Employing Election Paramagnetic Resonance," The Journal of Physical Chemistry A (2004, 108, 8040).