Civil Rights & Policy
Mr. Harvey works with clients and nonprofit and municipal organizations on various civil rights and public interest legal and policy issues. For example, Mr. Harvey:
- Serves as a member of the National Football League’s (“NFL”) Diversity Advisory Committee, providing consultation with respect to the NFL’s effort to improve racial and gender diversity in the hiring of head coaches and senior executives throughout the NFL’s 32-member clubs and League office. Serves as independent monitor for the Newark Police Department, responsible for overseeing the NPD's compliance with a Consent Decree issued by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Counsels professional sports organizations and leagues regarding sensitive legal and policy issues, including the development and implementation of domestic violence and other player conduct policies.
- Advises police organizations, law enforcement executives and city officials on issues relating to police conduct.
- Represents national civil rights organization in litigation pending in federal and state courts throughout the country.
- Serves on the Board of Directors of Futures Without Violence, focusing on domestic violence, sexual assault and childhood trauma policy issues.
As the Attorney General for the State of New Jersey, Mr. Harvey’s initiatives included:
- Refined and strengthened a ground-breaking Sexual Assault Response Team/Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SART/SANE) program to assist sexual assault victims in coming forward without fear of being victimized again by the justice system that is meant to help them.
- Developed and implemented statewide the first of its kind racial profiling training program to help police agencies avoid engaging in selective enforcement in violation of state and federal constitutional mandates.
- Met face-to-face with thousands of middle-school students in high-risk communities throughout the State to have frank discussions about the real life consequences of gang activity and violence, as opposed to the images conveyed through media.
- Issued a directive mandating that all police departments in the State use “stationhouse adjustment” techniques, an alternative approach to resolving matters involving juveniles who are caught engaging in minor delinquent activity.