Robert LoBue served as Co-Chair of the Firm and Managing Partner from 2007 to 2014. His practice includes both a first-seat role in many of the Firm’s most significant antitrust and other complex business disputes as well as his long-time focus on intellectual property and First Amendment litigation and counseling. Mr. LoBue has argued numerous appeals in various federal and state courts. He is co-author of the Media Law Resource Center’s 50-State Survey of Media Privacy and Related Law and of articles on media issues and federal procedure. He is the recipient of the Thurgood Marshall Award conferred by the Association of the Bar of the City of New York for his pro bono service in a death penalty case, and has filed amicus briefs in the US Supreme Court on behalf of retired federal judges and human rights organizations in several landmark cases relating to the 'War of Terror', and on behalf of prominent media entities in copyright cases.
His extensive trial and appellate experience has earned him recognition in industry publications such as Chambers USA and Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC’s Benchmark Litigation. Chambers USA recognizes Mr. LoBue in the Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Copyright area. Clients interviewed note that he “stands out for his efficient and businesslike approach” and describe him as “an esteemed litigator” with “a particularly strong record on behalf of media and publishing companies.” One commentator describes him as “the exact type of lawyer that in-house counsel need." Another client reported that “[h]e is extremely knowledgeable, gives practical, actionable legal advice and is great to work with.” Benchmark lists Mr. LoBue as a “Litigation Star” in the areas of Antitrust and Intellectual Property. Benchmark stated, “LoBue’s prowess is supported by client feedback; one satisfied client says, ‘If you want someone who’s going to waste your time, look elsewhere. Bob LoBue gets it done …’” Managing Intellectual Property magazine lists Mr. LoBue among its “IP Stars” for New York in the areas of Trademark Contentious and Copyright, and he has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Media Law. In 2022, The BTI Consulting Group recognized Mr. LoBue as a “Client Service All-Star”. This award recognizes attorneys who “stand above all the others in delivering the absolute best in client service."
Mr. LoBue has served as the Firm’s co-General Counsel and on bar association ethics committees. With this background, he often provides counsel on matters of legal ethics and law firm risk management.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit; Second Circuit; Third Circuit; Fourth Circuit; Sixth Circuit; Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- New York
MEMBERSHIPS: Member, American Bar Association; Association of the Bar of the City of New York; New York State Bar Association
HONORS: Recognized by Chambers USA in the areas of Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Copyright and Media & Entertainment; Listed as a "Litigation Star" for New York in Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC’s Benchmark: America's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys; Listed in Managing Intellectual Property magazine’s “IP Stars” for New York in the areas of Trademark Contentious and Copyright; Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Media Law; Named in Super Lawyers in the area of Business Litigation; honored by the Center for Constitutional Rights with its “Changemaker” award for pro bono contributions to human rights litigation; Recognized as a 2022 “Client Service All-Star” by The BTI Consulting Group
- Contributor to www.AntitrustUpdateBlog.com
- Author, “New York Federal District Court Dismisses Financier’s Libel Case,” Media Law Resource Center’s MediaLawLetter (August 25, 2021)
- Co-author, "The Soft Power Of Congress To Challenge Mergers," Law360 (August 1, 2017)
- Contributor, Antitrust Year in Review (United States), ABA Section of International Law (2015; Spring 2016)
- Author, "Is it Privileged? Privilege Issues for In-House Counsel" Inside, Spring/Summer 2012, Vol. 30, No. 1, New York State Bar Association
- "TheFlyonTheWall: A Judicial Paradox?" ABA, Section of Litigation First Amendment & Media Litigation Committee (January 17, 2012)
- Co-Author, "50 State Survey: Media Privacy and Related Law," Media Law Resource Center